Speaker of the US House of Representatives Nancy Pelosi flew to Taiwan. All the details of the scandalous visit are in the RBC article
Actual at 18:30
- The plane of Speaker of the US House of Representatives Nancy Pelosi landed in Taiwan, at Taipei International Airport.
- Pelosi left the airliner, which took off from Malaysia, flew over Indonesia, Brunei, the Philippines and eventually flew to Taiwan. Thus, the first visit of the Speaker of the House of Representatives to the island in 25 years began. She immediately made a statement about the inadmissibility of attempts to unilaterally violate Taiwan's sovereignty.
- China has repeatedly warned that this step will be considered a violation of its sovereignty and threatened with inevitable consequences. Beijing has closed the skies over the Taiwan Strait to civilian aircraft. The Chinese Foreign Ministry called the Taiwan issue an exclusively internal affair of China, in which other countries should not interfere.
- The Chinese authorities announced that they plan to hold naval exercises off the coast of Taiwan from Thursday to Sunday.
Why China opposed Pelosi visit
- Taiwan (or Republic of China)— it is a partially recognized state whose sovereignty is recognized by 14 countries. Formally, the Republic of China was founded in 1911, but in fact, this state entity has existed on the territory of Taiwan since the early 1950s— supporters of the ruling Kuomintang fled there after the civil war in China. At that time, the United States did not recognize the PRC, considering the government in Taiwan to be legitimate.
- Until the early 1970s, it was Taiwan that actually represented China in the UN. However, after Richard Nixon's visit to China and the improvement of US-China relations, the US agreed that it was communist China that was the subject of international law. Thus, theoretically, any visit to Taiwan is against the law from Beijing's point of view.
- Nevertheless, the United States officially maintains strong economic and political ties with Taiwan, including in the defense sphere.
- In 1997, Speaker of the House of Representatives Newt Gingrich visited Taiwan. In Taipei, he met with the president of the partially recognized country, Lee Teng-hui. There was little protest in Beijing then, given the imminent reunification with Hong Kong and Macau.
Read on RBC Pro Pro Most sellers have raised prices on marketplaces. What are their mistakes Articles Pro “Homeless” billionaire: how the creator of Ethereum Vitalik Buterin lives 4.15 am Articles Pro Why Canada's economy is feeling worse than other countries G7 Articles Pro Global recession: how a private investor can save money and make money Pro Investors Club Anti-sanction “plastic”: where it is better to apply for an international card Walmart in 4 Points Articles
- Pelosi's Asian tour began on July 31 as part of a delegation of US congressmen. As reported on the website of the politician, they will visit four countries— Singapore, Malaysia, South Korea and Japan. The main topics of the visit were to be “peace and security, economic growth and trade, the COVID-19 pandemic, the climate crisis, human rights and democratic governance.”
- Taiwan was not originally named as one of Pelosi's tour destinations. The Speaker of the House of Representatives had planned to visit Taiwan in April, but postponed the trip indefinitely due to the fact that she contracted the coronavirus. She has not officially announced her intention to make a stopover in Taipei, citing security concerns, but she has not denied the possibility either.
- The White House said that Pelosi did not confirm their plans to travel to Taiwan. At the same time, the US administration emphasized that Pelosi has the right to do so, like any US congressman. In accordance with the US Constitution, Pelosi— the third-ranking person in the country after the president and vice president.
- Relations between China and the United States have escalated following reports of Pelosi's alleged visit to Taiwan. Beijing is reminding Washington to follow the One China principle, in which Taiwan has no sovereignty. Thus, the visit of the American politician to China is regarded as a violation of its own sovereignty.
- “If the American side insists on going its own way, the Chinese military will never sit idly by and will certainly take strong measures to prevent any interference from outside forces and separatist plots for ‘Taiwan independence’, as well as vigorously defend national sovereignty and territorial integrity»,— said Chinese Defense Ministry spokesman Tang Kefei on July 26.
- The Chinese Foreign Ministry emphasized that “the United States will pay the price if China's security interests are harmed.”
- Press Secretary of the President of Russia Dmitry Peskov said that Pelosi's tour is provocative. “This provokes a situation, leads to an increase in tension. We emphasize once again that we stand in solidarity with China. Understandably sensitive attitude to this topic. The United States, instead of respecting it, is provoking,— said the Kremlin spokesman.
- The official representative of the Russian Foreign Ministry, Maria Zakharova, called the settlement in the Taiwan Strait an internal affair of China. She described Pelosi's visit as a provocation. “Live, at the request of the crowd, irresponsible American political temporary workers inflict insults on China's one and a half billion people. USA— state-provocateur»,— she wrote in her Telegram channel.
Amid the Chinese Foreign Ministry's statements about the readiness of the armed forces to respond to Pelosi's visit, the Chinese army began pull armored vehicles to areas on the shores of the Taiwan Strait. We are talking about both tanks and MLRS.
In the past three weeks, the Chinese Air Force has repeatedly raised aircraft and entered the zone of responsibility of Taiwan's air defense. An hour before Pelosi's arrival in Taipei, there were reports that Taiwan Air Force fighter jets, American aircraft from a base in Japan, and Chinese interceptors were scrambled into the air. However, there were no reports of any conflicts in the air.
In addition, amid reports of Pelosi's Asian tour, American warships, including the aircraft carrier « ;Ronald Reagan».
Authors Tags RBC Comfort
Newsletter with news that
affects the quality of your life